In my quest for the perfect flapjack recipe I thought I’d try the flapjack recipe from a book Bernadette bought for me called The Best of Irish Breads & Baking. It goes to the other extreme in quantities of butter and sugar/honey/syrup. I had to treble the quantities in the recipe in the book to get the right quantity of mixture for my flapjack tray. The original recipe said it made about 2 doz, they must have been minute!
My boys really liked the flapjacks although even they admitted they were maybe just a little bit too sweet and sticky. Anyway here’s the original recipe, I’d definitely adjust things with more oats to the rest of the ingredients another time.
- 75g butter
- 75g sugar
- 1 dsp golden syrup
- 1 dsp honey
- 100g rolled oats
- Preheat the oven 190 degrees C
- Put all the ingredients except the oats into a saucepan, heat until everything is dissolved
- Stir in the oats
- Turn mixture into a greased flapjack tin and press down
- Bake for about 10-15 mins until rowned but not hard
- Cut into squares while still warm