I was baking the walnut teabread in the previous post and got to where I had to wait for the syrup mixture to cool so I thought I’d mix up another cake whilst I waited. (Only one cake in an oven feels like a waste of electricity). I took another look in Mary Berry’s Baking Bibleand this recipe looked quick to mix as everything gets thrown in together then mixed. I thought I’d send this off with Jon as well so I will have to wait for a verdict on the taste.
Updated to add I made a second for scout camp and managed to get the last slice. Very pleasant. Not as flavoursome as Nigella’s banana bread but much quicker to mix up. I’d make this again if I wanted a quick cake to make and Nigella’s if I had more time.
- 100g softened butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 rips bananas mashed
- 225g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C. Line 900g/2lb loaf tin with greaseproof liner
- Put all ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat for about 2 mins until well blended.
- Spoon the mixture into loaf tin and level the surface
- Bake in pre-heated oven for about 1 hour, until well risen and golden brown.
- Leave to coll in tin for a few minutes before turning out onto wire rack to cool.