A few weeks ago I needed my (then) 12 year old to make dinner as I was working late (Jon was working from home) so I emailed him some instructions. I’m putting them into a post here so I can send him or his brother a link next time 🙂 He did do very well, we’d made chicken curry like this together the week before.
Start by getting everything together.
- Sauteing pan
- Bamboo spatula
- garlic crusher (might be on draining board)
- Sharp knife
- round chopping board
- Rice cooker
- Chicken (ask daddy to prepare)
- 1 large onion from onion crock beside cooker
- 2 cloves of garlic
- veg oil from pullout section to left of cooker as you are facing the cooker
- 1 cauliflower from veg drawer in bottom of fridge
- packet green beans from veg drawer in bottom of fridge
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes (will be in either the pull out larder to the right of the fridge or in the cupboard under the stairs)
- 1/2 jar curry paste (if we have one open it will be left hand side of top shelf of fridge, otherwise look in pullout larder on right hand side of fridge)
- Large container of basmati rice in bottom of pullout larder
- Chop the onion and put into a cereal bowl
- Peel garlic
- Cut up the cauliflower into florets (can you remember what size we had last week ?)
- Put some veg oil in sauteing pan and start to heat
- When oil is hot put in chopped onion and crush garlic into pan. Gently stir until onion is slightly translucent (about 5 mins)
- Add chicken to pan and keep stirring every so often until meat is cooked on all sides (another 5 mins approx)
- Add 1/2 jar curry paste and whole tin chopped tomatoes and stir well.
- You might need to add a little water from the kettle if it looks a little dry
- Cook curry for another 5mins
- Add cauliflower and cook until cook until starting to soften, stir every so often.
- You can now put the rice on. Put two cups rice into rice cooker, add water up to the number 2 level. Put pan back into rice cooker, close and press rice cooking button. The rice is cooked when the rice cooker beeps.
- Now prepare green beans, you can either put them in the curry as well or boil them for 4 minutes