The news reports may be saying this is not a good year for asparagus but our asparagus bed is producing more asparagus than we can get through so I thought I’d best make some soup. The New Covent Garden Soup book has several asparagus soup recipes but the Chicken and Asparagus soup sounded the most appealing and was the easiest to source ingredients, if I have more asparagus to use up I’ll try one of the other recipes. I had just under a kg of asparagus so multiplied the ingredients accordingly. Soup had a lovely fresh asparagus flavour and was a nicer shade of green than it looks in the photo. Took about 1/2hr to make.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 small onion, diced
- a knob of butter
- 400ml chicken stock
- 2 small potatoes, diced
- 250g asparagus
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan, add the chicken breast and fry gently turning occasionally for 15-20 minutes until fully cooked through. Cool slightly and shred (using 2 forks), then set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onions, then cook gently for 5-10 minutes
- Add the stock and potato, bring to the boil, and simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cut the asparagus into 5 cm lengths. Add the asparagus pieces (reserving the tips) and cook gently for a further 5 minutes
- Blend until smooth
- Add asparagus tips and shredded chicken. Reheat gently, season to taste and serve.