My SIL gave me the above jar of cookie mix at christmas and it has taken me until now to make it up, if I’d known how delicious they were I’d have made it up immediately. These were perfect chewy cookies that were still good several days after (we forgot the last 3 in a tin or we wouldn’t have been able to check) so I made sure I got the recipe. The recipe and instructions have American measurements. I’ll come back to this post and add the UK measurements when I have a bit more time. Personally I prefer my ‘large walnut’ balls as it made 2 doz generous cookies, regular size ‘walnut’ balls would be usual UK biscuit size cookies. The mixture was packed in a 1 litre Ikea jar.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c white sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 c chopped nuts of your choice
- 1-1/4 c rolled oats
- 1/2 c chocolate chips
- 1 (5.5 ounce) milk chocolate bar
- With wire whisk, mix flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Pour into jar and pack down level with heavy object. Mix oatmeal in a blender.
- Grate chocolate bar and mix into the oatmeal. Pack on top of flour in jar. Add white sugar and pack down. Add brown sugar and pack down.
- Layer chopped nuts on top of brown sugar. Finish layering jar with chocolate chips until even with the top.
- Attach a card with the following directions:
Chocolate Chip and Nut Cookie Mix
Preheat oven to 375. Spoon chocolate chips and nuts into small bowl, set aside. Spoon brown and white sugar into mixing bowl, add 1/2 cup margarine or butter, cream well. Add 1 egg and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, mix well. Pour oatmeal and flour mixture from jar into bowl, add chocolate chips and nuts and mix thoroughly. Roll into walnut-sized balls, place on slightly greased cookie sheet two inches apart.
Bake for 8-10 minutes. Makes: 2-3 dozen