Thought I’d give the Nigella Express cookbook another go and wanted something very easy for lunch. Basically this is a cheese toastie with quick coleslaw – I think it’s a bit of a cheat to fill two pages of a cookbook with this (unless it was a cookbook for beginners) when the recipe could be condensed into:
Make a cheese and tomato toastie and quick coleslaw
– use Chinese leaf instead of white cabbage and mix a little mango chutney into the mayo for your coleslaw.
– mix a little worcestershire sauce into some mayo and use in sandwiches instead of butter
I was going to follow her instructions for the cheese toastie as I do have a griddle pan but decided weighing it all down and removing it all to check when it’s cooked was too much of a faff so I used my toasted sandwich maker instead. The conclusion from our teen who is very fond of mango chutney was that it was too overwhelming in the slaw and he actually left his (my boys almost never leave food so he really wasn’t keen). Jon and I quite liked it but concluded 1 teaspoon of mango chutney rather than a tablespoon would be better. And what’s not to love about a cheese toastie 🙂
Nigella’s Sandwich Slaw
- 1 red apple, cored and julienned or coarsely grated
- 1 carrot, julienned or coarsely greated
- 100 g Chinese leaf, finely shredded
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp mango chutney
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Toss together the vegetables & fruit.
- Mix caraway seeds with mango chutney, lemon, mayo and salt, and pour this over the veggies.
- Mix carefully, then serve.