Tonight I made the Trapani-style Rigatoni, Griddled Chiccory Salad, Rock & Parmesan Salad and Limoncello Trifle from Jamie’s 30-Minute Meals. The top picture is the pasta, followed by the rocket salad then the griddled chicory salad.
We had a friend dropping by for dinner plus three teens so 6 for dinner. I doubled up on the quantities for the limoncello trifle so made 2 dishes of the size pictured below.
Trapani pasta is traditionally made with busiate, an long oddly shaped pasta from the town of Trapani in Sicily. The almonds in the traditional recipes are usually toasted which I may try next time I make this pasta. The pasta sauce has a robust and fresh flavour with a lovely texture.
- 400 gr dried rigatoni (Jamie suggests 500g but this is too much)
- 40 gr parmesan cheese
- 100 gr whole blanched almonds
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1-2 fresh red chili peppers (our supermarket was out of the chili’s so I used chilipepper puree which you can buy in a bottle here. That worked fine!)
- 2 large bunches of basil
- 4 anchovy fillets in oil
- 450 gr cherry tomatoes
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet.
- While the pasta is cooking, place the Parmesan, almonds, garlic and chillies into a food processor or blender. Process for a minute to combine the ingredients.
- Add around two thirds of the tomatoes to the food processor along with the anchovies, one and a half handfuls of basil and a little olive oil. Process until the ingredients turn into a paste.
- Taste the mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Reserve some of the water the pasta has cooked in then drain the pasta and return it to the saucepan. Stir in the paste until the pasta is thoroughly coated. Add a little of the reserved water to loosen the pasta if necessary.
- Transfer to bowls and top with the remaining cherry tomatoes (halved) and basil leaves.
The Chicory was griddled then sprinkled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. The rocket salad had parmesan on top and a lemon juice and olive oil dressing. Jamie suggested a loaf of ciabatta, I did a tomato and mozarella salad instead.
I’ve made this a few times now, getting quicker but still wouldn’t be able to make it in 30mins.