We used to use The Return of the Naked Chef cookbook a lot when we bought it originally. But I haven’t used it much lately and I hadn’t tried this recipe before. I couldn’t get wild mushrooms so used a combination of chestnut mushrooms and oyster mushrooms, I also used some porcini olive oil that I had in the cupboard. For sausages I used a full pack of Waitrose 6 British chorizo pork sausages which was 400g. This was about the right amount of sausage meat, so I’ve adjusted the quantities as Jamie had specified 225g. I didn’t have any pappardelle pasta so i used rigatoni.
This took about 10 -15 minutes to cook and was very tasty. A good weekday dinner.
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 400g of the best spicy sausage you can find, meat removed from skin
- olive oil
- 2 good handfuls of fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 1-2 small dried red chilies, crumbled, to taste
- 400g/14oz mixed wild mushrooms (girolles, chanterelles, ceps or blewits, oyster and shitake), torn
- fresh pappardelle: 1 x pasta recipe (page 98)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 good knobs of butter
- 1 handful of parsley, chopped
- 1 handful of grated parmesan cheese
- Fry the onion, garlic and sausage meat in a little olive oil until lightly golden.
- Add the thyme, chilies and mushrooms.
- Cook the pappardelle in salted boiling water until al dente. Reserve a little cooking water.
- Remove the sauce from the heat, season to taste and loosen with 3 knobs of butter and a little cooking water from the pasta.
- Toss the drained pasta with the mushrooms and serve sprinkled with lots of parsley and some grated parmesan.