I wanted to bake a savoury biscuit and the recipe for these in Mary Berry’s Baking Bible looked interesting. Like the majority of Mary Berry’s recipes they were easy to make, and like many of Mary’s biscuit recipes if you make the quantities she specifies you’d end up with tiny little morsels. It’s weird her traybakes make generous quantities so it isn’t just that she eats smaller portions than everyone else. Anyway for these biscuits I made 20 little biscuits instead of her stated 30. The biscuits were crumbly around the edges, I don’t really know why. As you can see from the picture I topped them with half a cashew which was less of a faff than the chopped nut topping would be. I really liked the biscuits and they were all but I’m not 100% convinced they will make my list of regular recipes – I don’t know why not.
- 100g (4oz) grated mature cheddar
- 100g (4oz) plain flour
- a pinch of salt
- 100g (4oz) softened butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 50g (2oz) chopped unsalted mixed nuts
- either mixed chopped nuts or cashew halves to decorate
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C/ Fan 160 degrees C/gas mark 4.
- Lightly grease 2 baking trays
- Measure all the ingredients except nuts for sprinkling into a bowl.
- Work together with a knife then your hands to form a dough.
- Form the dough into about 20 balls and place well apart on the prepared baking trays.
- Sprinkle with either chopped nuts or nut topping then lightly flatten the balls with your hand.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for about for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Lift onto a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or cold.
I enjoyed reading this post! Your bakes looks seriously good! =D
Thank-you for your kind words