Aidan decided he wanted to make Eton Mess. He’d made it ages using Sam Stern Cooking Up A Storm – The Teen Survival Cookbook. This time he made it without the cookbook and decided to pick some raspberries to mix in as well. Whilst it is a very easy recipe it’s great when a cookbook recipe gives a teenager (Aidan is 13 ) sufficient confidence to just put it together the next time he wants to make a nice pudding. For anyone who has not come across it, Eton mess is a traditional English dessert consisting of a mixture of strawberries pieces of meringue and cream which is traditionally served at Eton College’s annual cricket game against Winchester College and it’s been known by this name since the 19th Century. I don’t know if they still serve it at the school, my boys have a couple of friends at Eton I must get them to ask.
- 300ml double cream
- 8 meringues
- 450g Strawberries
- 300g approx raspberries (optional)
- Drizzle orange juice or white wine
- 25g icing sugar
- Chop strawberries in half (cut large strawberries smaller)
- Chuck in a bowl and splash with orange juice or wine. Add icing sugar (optional)
- Just before eating whisk cream until soft, (mixes very well in a food processor)
- Break up meringues
- Put cream, meringues (save some to put on top) and fruit in a bowl and stir gently for marbled effect
- Spoon into glasses, tumblers or a big bowl, sprinkle with some saved meringue and serve.