Another great traybake recipe from Mary Berry. If you like baking and haven’t already got a copy of Mary Berry’s Baking Bible you really must buy a copy! I now turn to this book first when I feel like baking especially if I don’t have much time to bake. I’m also confident trying new recipes even if I have guests coming over because I know it will turn out well each time. These proved very popular
- 225g/8oz soft margarine
- 225g/8oz caster sugar
- 275g/10oz self-raising flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 275g/10oz sultanas
- grated rinds of 2 oranges
- demerara sugar
- or 225g icing sugar and 3 tbsp orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas4. Grease and base line 30 x 23cm/12 x 9in traybake tin with greased greaseproof paper.
- Measure all the ingredients except the demerara sugar into a large bowl and beat well for about 2 minutes until well blended.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and level the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes then sprinkle the top with demerara sugar and return to the oven for a further 10-15 minutes or until the cake has shrunk from the sides of the tin and springs back when pressed in the centre with your fingertips. Leave to cool in the tin.
- If not using demerara sugar topping use 3 tbsps of juice from the oranges and mix with icing sugar to make an orange glaze icing.