We found some squid and scallops at the bottom of the freezer so Tagliatelle with saffron, seafood and cream from The Return of the Naked Chef was the obvious dish to make. This was amazingly quick to cook and very nice. Also very adaptable, we used chilli oil to add a slight kick but it was very subtle, you could add finely chopped shallots, chopped chillis, use sherry instead of wine and vary the seafood mix. I used squid, scallops and prawns. Mussels would be great but I couldn’t buy any today.
I served with Samphire sauted in butter
- A good pinch saffron
- 1 glass white wine
- Olive oil
- 1 large clove of garlic finely chopped
- 500g fresh tagliatelle
- 700g mixed seafood
- 1/2 pint double cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A bunch flat parsley, chopped
- Soak the saffron in the white wine.
- Add a little oil and the garlic to a frying pan, and cook until softened.
- Add the seafood, shake the pan around, and add the white wine and saffron mixture.
- Bring to a boil and cook until the shellfish opens, discard any shellfish that remain closed.
- Then, lay the rest of the seafood, parsley, and the cream on top.
- Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes and season to taste.
- Cook the tagliatelle in salted, boiling water until al dente. Drain and add to the fish, serve scattered with some of the leftover parsley and an extra drizzle of olive oil.