After a couple of weeks when I seemed to have no time for cooking anything different I’m enjoying being able to get on with cooking again. I decided to make a start on preparations for Christmas dinner by making the cranberry sauce – actually I got Aidan to make this so he would see how easy it is to make your own cranberry sauce.
I’ll have 12 for Christmas dinner this year and we will have leftover meat where we also want sauce, this should be plenty.
- 350g Cranberries
- 150ml port
- 2 clementines, zested and juiced
- Star anise
- 2cm length cinnamon
- 4-6 tbsp caster sugar
- Keep one handful of cranberries aside and put the rest in a saucepan with the port
- Add the clementine zest and juice (could use one large orange instead)
- Add Star anise and cinnamon
- Heat gently until most of the cranberries have burst, add the handful kept back and heat 2 more minutes (keeping some back mean there’s some intact fruit which looks more attractive).
- Add the sugar to taste (adding sugar before cranberries have softened would make them hard)
- Remove star anise and cinnamon.