I don’t recall ever eating celeriac before but the recipe for this caught my eye in an article about Mary Berry’s Christmas day recipes wen she said that this is a perfect dish to be made ahead and reheated. I just tried a little today to check and it is lovely. I have a problem with mashed potatoes and am not keen on many root vegetables but this is lovely. I hope my boys like it because it may well be the answer for me as alternative topping for dishes like shepherds pie.
Ingredients to serve 8
- 1.8kg (4lb) celeriac
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200ml (7 fl oz) carton full-fat creme fraiche
- freshly grated nutmeg
- Peel the thick skin off the celeriac with a knife and cut the flesh into even-sized pieces of about 2.5cm (1in). Boil in salted water for 20-25 minutes until really soft. Drain well.
- Tip the celeriac into a food processor, add the creme fraiche, salt, pepper and grated nutmeg, and blend until really smooth (may need to blend in batches).
- Check for seasoning and serve hot.