Friends visited for afternoon tea and their eldest is allergic to dairy, eggs, nuts and fish. I decided I’d like to make as much as possible of the tea safe for him to eat. I was at a bit of a loss until a friend suggested looking at Vegan recipes. This cake was the most successful as a cake you wouldn’t realise didn’t have butter and eggs in it. The others were all fine and I’ll post all recipes as I’d make them all again if he was visiting. Funnily he wasn’t particularly keen on this cake although he liked all of the others. I’d adjusted the recipe I found so what is below is my adjusted version.
- 200g light brown sugar
- 2 tbsps light olive oil oil
- 2 tsps mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 175g sultanas
- 350ml water
- 250g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Lightly grease or line a 2lb loaf tin
- Put the sugar, oil, mixed spice, salt, sultanas and water into a large saucepan. Bring to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together.
- Add the flour mixture to the cooled raisin mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Tip mixture into prepared tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
This looks delicious! I just wanted to let you know that you have been featured over at BritMum’s in the Foodie Round up this month… Emma 🙂
Thanks Emma, not familiar with BritMum’s do you have a link ?