When my god son came around for tea I also made vegan scones to handle his dairy allergy. Essentially they are the same ingredient list and made the same way as regular scones just substituting dairy free spread for the butter, dairy free milk for the milk and no eggs. I used a sunflower oil spread and rice milk. The scones were fine but tasted a little floury/dry inside. The rice milk was very thin, I think I’d try a different non dairy milk next time.
- 225g/8 oz self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 75g/3 oz dairy free margarine
- 40g/1½ oz caster sugar
- 150ml/4¼fl oz non dairy milk (eg. rice, soya) plus extra for glazing
- Preheat oven
- Sieve self-raising flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Rub the margarine into the flour until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add caster sugar and mix in.
- Make well in ingredients add milk and mix well
- Knead dough, roll out and cut scone rounds
- Glaze with extra milk and bake for 15 minutes.