Aidan made this, I don’t know where he found the recipe, he’d seen it made on tv. It was really really nice and wasn’t as dark as it looks in the picture above. It was best cold the next day sliced almost like a piece of patisserie. The recipe is incredibly rich.
- 750g Panettone
- 600ml double cream
- 8 eggs
- 200g sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven to 150C
- Cut the panettone into 2cm thick slices and place in overlapping layers in a baking dish
- Bring the cream almost to the boil over a medium heat. In the meantime which the eggs and sugar together
- Pour the hot cream slowly into the eggs, whisking constantly to stop the eggs from scrambling
- Add the vanilla, sieve the custard into a jug and pour into the baking dish, covering all of the panettone.
- Baste and parts of the panettone that are dry and leave to soak for 10 minutes
- Sprinkle the Demerara sugar over the top for a crispy topping
- Cover with foil and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the custard has set and the pudding is golden.