I made the blondies because Aidan likes peanut butter, I like white chocolate and I wanted to make something different from Rachel Allen’s Bake cookbook. They were nice but not amazing (like her date bars). Jon is very keen on brownies made from dark chocolate so unsurprisingly he found them a disappointment. I like her idea of using peanut butter and may play around with the recipe to make a brownie version.
- 125 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100 g butter at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
- 150 g crunchy peanut butter
- 175 g light brown sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 75 g white chocolate, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 170C/gas 3. grease and line a 20 x 20cm square cake tin.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and peanut butter together until very soft. Add the sugar, egg and vanilla extract and beat until well combined. Add the flour, baking powder and the chopped chocolate and mix to form a dough.
- Place the dough into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 25–30 minutes, or until golden brown and almost firm in the centre.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin, before removing and cutting into squares.