I made these canapes as a starter for Christmas lunch whilst the turkey was resting. They needed to be made in a hurry so I didn’t zest the lemon and forgot the dill, which is a shame as the garnish does make them look pretty. Generally presentation above is not as good as it could be but they went as quickly as they were made. A quick and easy canape that can make your smoked salmon stretch a bit further.
- 1 lemon
- 200g smoked salmon
- 1 small shallot or onion finely chopped
- Approx 20 ready made blinis
- 1 small pot sour cream
- Small bunch fresh dill
- freshly ground black pepper
- Use a lemon zester to remove thin strips of zest from the lemon. Put the strips to one side, to use to decorate blinis.
- Dice the salmon by piling up the slices of smoked salmon into a stack. Using a very sharp knife, cut across the stack to give you thin strips. Turn the stack 90 degrees and cut across the strips again so that end up with fine chopped salmon. Place into a bowl.
- Add the juice of half of the lemon, and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the finely chopped shallot and mix well.
- Spread a layer of soured cream onto each blini. Place a spoonful of the salmon mixture on top of the soured cream and garnish each with a small sprig of dill and a strip of lemon zest.