I’ve had mixed results from Nigella Express cookbook. Some good, one inedible despite me loving all the ingredients, some ok. Maybe it’s me, this book has lots of great reviews on Amazon. The Scallops & Chorizo was really nice, but given the cost of scallops I think it needs to be spectacular. The combination of chorizo and scallops definitely works but it’s missing something, possibly a hint of chilli ? The chickpeas recipe worked as long as you stir rocket in right at the end so it just wilts, and I may make this again but I didn’t think the chickpeas worked with the Scallops and chorizo, chickpeas are too robust.
Scallops & Chorizo
- 110 grams chorizo
- 400 grams small scallops (halve them to make 2 thinner discs if they are very fat)
- juice of ½ lemon
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Slice the chorizo into rounds no thicker than 3mm / 1/8 inch.
- Heat a heavy-based pan on the hob and, when hot, dry-fry the chorizo round until crisped on either side (the chorizo will give out plenty of its own oil); this should take no more than 2 minutes.
- Remove the chorizo to a bowl and fry the scallops in the chorizo-oil for about 1 minute a side.
- Return the chorizo to the pan with the scallops, add the lemon juice and let bubble for a few seconds before arranging on a serving plate and sprinkling with lots of parsley.
Chickpeas with Rocket & Sherry
- 1 tablespoon wok oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 820 grams chickpeas (2 cans) drained and rinsed
- 130 grams rocket (1 packet)
- 1 teaspoon maldon salt (or ½ teaspoon table salt)
- 60 ml cream sherry
- Heat the oil and cumin seeds in a wok.
- Add the chickpeas, salt and sherry and give a good stir.
- When chickpeas have heated through turn off the heat and stir in the rocket until just wilted.