Our eldest is getting ready to leave home, he’ll be working for a year before going on to university so I’ve been thinking a bit more about frugal eating as he won’t have a lot of money. We used to make this a lot when we were first married as we had very little money left after the mortgage. It is very tasty and quick to make from store cupboard basics.
Quantities below feed 2-3 depending on appetite.
- 2 Onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tins (2 x 100g approx) sardines in tomato sauce
- 1 tin (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 250g basmati rice
- Cook rice according to instructions
- Whilst rice is cooking saute onions, add crushed garlic
- Add tin tomatoes to onions and bring to a simmer
- Season well with black pepper and any herbs to hand
- Mash up sardines roughly and add to pan, mix well
- Add rice when cooked and mix well. Warm through and serve
- Add chilli sauce to taste (optional)